Zephaniah, a negro Israelite, a son of Kush. Tsephanyâhû = יהוה hides. Zephaniah’s father was named “Cushi,” and “Cushi” as…
Zephaniah the Zealot
In the opening verses of Zephaniah 3, where Judah rejects all 4 of YHWH’s witnesses to Himself, we will look at how His Son confronted all 4 of the opening verses in final judgment: 1. the princes, 2. the judges, 3. the prophets, 4. the priests.
Zephaniah the Zealot – Part 3
Zeph 3:1 Woe to her that is filthy and polluted, to the oppressing city! 2 She obeyed not the voice; she received not correction; she trusted not in vuvh; she drew not near to her Elohim.3 Her rulers within her are roaring lions; her judges are evening wolves; they leave no bones until tomorrow. 4 Her prophets are light and treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the Holy Place, they have done violence to the Torah.
Gal 3:19 ‘Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made…’ (’till’ Shiloh/Messiah – Gen.49:10).
The BoL; the Deuteronomic reforms bore NO fruit did they?
All the Deuteronomic reforms, all the added laws for transgression, all the Levitical minuture, all the cries of the prophets went unheeded!
What’s the answer?
Deut 18:5 יהוה Elohim will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken…I will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him…
If the Deuteronomic reforms failed, the Levitical priesthood failed, Josiah’s reforms failed, the prophets voices went unheeded…then what avenue remained for יהוה to gain His people back?
Heb 7:12 ‘For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the Torah…7:16 Malki Tzedik is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment…7:18 there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. 19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did.
Instead of the liberating it, liberating law which is your and mine Melchizedek reality – religionists always aspire to FORM without SUBSTANCE which leaves a man parched and powerless in faith because:
Heb 11:1 faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not yet seen.
2nd Pet 2:19: While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the slaves of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. 20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of this world through the knowledge of the Master and Savior Yahusha Messiah, and if they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter-end is worse with them than the beginning.
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
5 vuvh is tzadik in the midst of her; He will not do iniquity: every morning He brings His judgments to light, He fails not; but the unjust knows no shame.
The wicked “knows no shame”, they turn their shame into pride.
6 I have cut off the nations: their towers are desolate; I made their streets waste, that none passes by: their cities are destroyed, so that there is no man, that there is no inhabitant. 7 I said, Surely you will fear Me, you will receive Torah; so their dwelling should not be cut off, howsoever I punished them: but they rose early, and corrupted all their doings.
יהוה will render a prophetic final judgment on the halls of political power (their towers are desolate V.6), the infrastructure will fail because of our laws and rulers, open boarders and social decay.
Judah listened to their false prophets rather than יהוה. They listened to the false promises instead of pursuing יהוה. They looked to the State instead of the state of their sin and in doing so that they received the judgment.
8 Therefore wait upon Me, says vuvh, until the day that I rise up to the plunder: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble all kingdoms, to pour upon them My indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy. 9 For then will I return to the people a pure clean language, that they may all call upon the Name of vuvh, 8 to serve Him with one accord.
Judah rejects all 4 of YHWH’s witnesses to Himself (opening verses):
- Her princes – instead of shepherds they’re devouring lions.
- Her judges – supposed to defend, instead accept bribes and kickbacks with wolfish greed.
- Her prophets – should be guides, but instead are blabbers and scandalmongers.
- Her priests – who should be holy and distinguish between clean and unclean; instead have secularized their world and ignored or perverted the torah. Vain repetition of religious activities and ceremonies whole oblivious of יהוה.
This is a warning to us today not to be follow form without substance.
9 For then will I return to the people a pure clean language, that they may all call upon the Name of vuvh, 8 to serve Him with one accord. 10 From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia My worshippers, even the daughter of My dispersed, shall bring My offering.
V.9 echoes Gen. 11
11 In that day shall you not be ashamed of all your doings, in what you have transgressed against Me: for then I will take away out of the midst of you those that rejoice in your pride, and you shall no more be haughty because of My Holy Mountain.
In Vs. 11 onward Jerusalem comes into view as the center of YHWH’s work. For there he abides in the midst of His people.
- The Roman and Herodian princes: Matt 2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princesof Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel. (The Son will judge and govern the wicked princes) 1 Corin 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
- Her judges: Matt 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils…And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
- Her prophets: Matt 7:15 a remez back to the opening verses of Zeph 3: Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Lk 11:50 That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation. Matt 11:8 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses.9 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? Yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.
- Her priests: Lk 22:52 Then Yahusha said unto the chief priests, and captains of the temple, and the elders, which were come to him, Be ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and staves? When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour (the hour of Zephanyahs prophecies judgments six centuries before), and the power of darkness. Mark 15:3 And the chief priests accused him of many things: but he answered nothing…For he knew that the chief priests had delivered him for envy.
12 I will also leave in the midst of you an afflicted and poor people, and they shall trust in the Name of vuvh.
Mark 14:7 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always…Lk 4:18 he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor. Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of Elohim.
13 The remnant of Yisrael shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid.
Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the master, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to יהוה.
14 Roni Bat Tzion/Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Yisrael; be in joy and rejoice with all the heart, O Bat Yahrushalayim. 15 vuvh has taken away your judgments He has cast out your enemy: the King of Yisrael, even vuvh, is in the midst of you: you shall not see nor fear evil any more.
Jn 12: 15 Fear not, daughter of Zion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass’s colt. Matt 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
16 In that day it shall be said to Yahrushalayim, Fear not: and to Tzion, Let not your hands be weak. 17 vuvh your Elohim in the midst of you is mighty; He will save.
Matt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Yahusha for he shall save his people from their sins.
He will rejoice over you with joy; He will rest in His love for you, He will rejoice over you with song. 18 I will gather all those that grieve for the holy congregation, who are among you, to whom the reproach of exile was a burden.
Lk 13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
19 Behold, at that time I will deal with all that afflict you: and I will save her that is lame, and gather her that was driven out; and I will get for them prayer and fame in every land where they have been put to shame.
Jn 11:51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Yahusha should die for that nation; And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of Elohim that were scattered abroad.
20 At that time will I bring you again, even in the time that I gather you: for I will make your name a prayer among all peoples of the earth, when I turn back your captivity before your eyes, says vuvh.
Lk 4:18 The Spirit of the יהוה is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.
Next Up In
Zephaniah the Zealot
Zeph 1 and 1 Thess. 4 & 5; a symphony on destruction and salvation…destruction to those who claim self rule…salvation…
Top TeachingView All
Who are the real Jews today and where can we find them? Why does American black history exist based solely…
Are you ready to go deeper into your walk of faith? Many know Jesus Christ, but we want to introduce…
Torah to the Tribes helps people discover the world’s most accurate account of the Melchizedek order, revealing hidden truths that will enrich your faith.
When you subscribe you’ll get the help you need in your personal studies of the Bible; let us help you with our huge library of resources.